Understanding types of tenancy agreements

Understanding types of tenancy agreements Types of tenancy agreement

Assured short hold tenancy

As a student renting private accommodation your tenancy will most likely be an assured short hold tenancy. This is the most common type of tenancy when renting private properties.

Assured Tenancy

Usually issued by a housing trust or association, they offer some security in that as long as you don’t breach the terms of the tenancy you are entitled to remain in the property. However, this type of tenancy is not usually likely for student letting.

Regulated or ‘protected’ tenancy

This type of tenancy offers the most protection against eviction or rent increases.

However, there are a few circumstances where you may not be covered by an assured short hold tenancy:

  • If you are living in a property that has been divided into flats and your landlord is living in a spare flat, then you may have a non-excluded tenancy.
  • Check what the combined rent is for your property, if it exceeds £200,000 per year then you will have a bare contractual tenancy.
  • If you are living as a lodger with your landlord, then you may have an excluded tenancy.

However, if you are not included in the above exclusions then you will most likely have an assured short hold tenancy and so before signing your agreement, you should go through our check list of what it should include.

Dont ignore the small print: find out kind of tenancy agreement you are signing

Find out what kind of tenancy agreement you are signing, as this can make a difference to your liability. Many shared tenancies will have a joint and several liability clause and this will mean you are responsible for the actions of your co-tenants, not just paying the rent.

Spotted an Error?
We aim to provide the best advice about renting student accommodation, with up to date information about the University areas you could be living in. If you have a comment, let us know so we can keep the site up to date for everyone. Many thanks Ed x