Insurance, TV Licences and Post

Insurance, TV Licences and Post Insurance and licences

Just because you’re in student accommodation it doesn’t mean you can ignore Insurance, TV Licences and getting your post re-directed. Here’s a guide to what you need to know.


Let’s be honest, as students you will have the latest tech and it’s important all your expensive items are protected. There are four types of contents insurance:

  • Indemnity Policy: This is the cheaper of the two. The policy takes into account wear and tear and depreciation when assessing your claim. e.g. A claim for a spillage on a 10 year old sofa will only pay out based on its current value.
  • ‘New for Old’: Covers the cost of replacing the item that is lost or damaged with a brand new one. This is certainly worth considering when insuring items such as furniture and electricals. However, beware as items such as clothing are usually excluded.
  • Accidental damage: Covers against damage
  • All risk: For items you take out of the house – jewellery, MP3 players, cameras, phones etc.

Ask your parents to check their insurance policy, or contact their insurer directly to see if you’re covered in halls or student accommodation. If they are not covered, then please consider buying separate cover. You’ll be surprised how much your belongings add up to. Compare policies here.

TV Licence

Just like everyone else, students also need a TV licence. This applies whether you live in halls of residence or a private shared house. If you have a separate tenancy agreement for your room (i.e. you rent a room in multiple occupancy house) you need a separate TV Licence to watch or record TV, as it is being broadcast, in your room. If you live in a shared house (multiple people under one tenancy agreement) one licence may cover the whole house. Always check that you’re covered to watch TV, this includes on a computer/laptop. Even if your out-of-term address is licensed, you still might not be covered while you’re living in student accommodation.

You can face a fine of up to £2000 if you don’t get one, and it costs £245.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white license. You can pay online or on the phone, buying a 6 month or 12 month licence and monthly payments are available.

Re-Direct post

You might want to redirect your mail from your previous home address, via Royal Mail. The only drawback is that it can cost around £40.00 for 12 months (prices vary depending on how long you choose to redirect for). You should also advise your university of your new address.

Spotted an Error?
We aim to provide the best advice about renting student accommodation, with up to date information about the University areas you could be living in. If you have a comment, let us know so we can keep the site up to date for everyone.